Wednesday, September 25, 2013

New shopper for Then Again

This gentleman came from Goodwill today. He was wearing a cape over his coat and the coat was a metallic bronze color. I cut off the cape, painted his coat to resemble a trench coat and gave the cage a metallic sheen with a gold Sharpie. Now he looks like a customer interested in buying a bird cage. I must say this was one of the easiest transformations I've done. ;-)

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Meet Mr. and Mrs. Skelly

 I'm not sure what inspired this project but I love the results. They look a bit vintage and they were so fun to dress. Especially the bride.
 Here they are entering the wedding reception.
 A close up shot....
And my favorite photo with them behind the table at the reception. The banquet table and Mr. and Mrs. Skelly are listed in my zibbet shop. They are listed separately with an option to combine them. I thought the bride and groom would also make a cool cake topper. I'm curious to hear comments and watch views.

Wishing you all a wonderful week!

Friday, September 20, 2013

Tile end table

Here's a quick mini project for the night. The idea came from a recent issue of American Miniaturist. This is my adaptation of that. I super glued a wood disc to a three legged pizza thingy. The black was painted with a Sharpie. The "tiles" were punched out of regular weight white paper. I glued them on with extra strength glue stick and then coated the finished design with Mod Podge Dimensional Magic. The finished table is going in the third floor "hang out" room in the Willowcrest. There's currently just a plain pizza table there. The tile table is a huge improvement and a great little "trash to treasure" project. The options are limited only by the punches you have available and your imagination!

Friday, September 13, 2013

Almost finished!

 I am so pleased with how the exterior of the baby house cabinet turned out after aging and painting the knobs. It's just the right amount of shabby elegance.
 Other than the cabinet, I didn't purchase anything new for this project. The living room wallpaper is a sample of 1:1 scale striped wallpaper turned on its side. The sofa, chair and end table are toys rescued and refinished from my MIL's attic. The rug is a coaster. The console table was made with miscellaneous scraps and all the artwork came from a mini magazine's cutout page. I "framed" them by layering them on brown flocked paper. The window is a leftover door from a bashed Michael's hutch with parchment paper drapes and the door and frame were cut from cardboard with panels made from the parchment. Even with the dark floor and door the room seems airy and feminine without going over the top with it.
 The welcoming pineapple over the door is a vintage plastic embellishment. The flowers are just silk flower stamens and the silver bowl is a jewelry finding.
 The bedroom is over the top feminine with its shades of rose on walls, window, bed and nightstand. This wallpaper is actual dollhouse paper. I made and dressed the bed. The nightstand is just a block of wood.
The vanity was rescued along with the living room furniture but I refurbished it a bit with a new mirror and gold accenting the trim. I made the stool, lamps, jars, etc.

I think I need at least a pet to give the rooms life but it is otherwise complete, I think. This was a fun project and was small enough to have the satisfaction of completing it quickly. Can't wait to hear what you all think!

Monday, September 9, 2013

Work has begun...

...on the baby house. Go here to see what it looked like when I bought it. I cleaned it up, ripped out the old wallpaper border and painted the floors to look like wood. Then I wallpapered to match the furniture I plan to use in each room. This is only a rough start. I have a lot to do inside. I plan to put faux windows in each room and make new bedding for the bed. I think the living room needs a rug, too. Then there will be the accessories. At some point, I may make new furnishings for this - the bed may happen sooner rather than later.

The base painting is all finished on the exterior. Now I just need to age the finish a bit more. I already like it much better than the solid baby blue it was before. As you can see, Elvis helped with the painting today. After all the canning, he was ready to do some "manly" work. His words, not mine. ;-)

Stay tuned for updates on the baby house. This will be a quick project but will provide some much needed mini diversion. Have a great week all!

Saturday, September 7, 2013

A helping hand

 I had a  lot of tomatoes to deal with today but Elvis was on it and ready to help. I made him a personalized apron and his own wooden spoon. He used Kate's stove and borrowed the canner from my zibbet shop.

This is how his canner compares to my full size one.
I had both red and yellow tomatoes so I made sauce in both colors. Usually I mix the two but I thought the yellow would be really pretty in chicken or turkey based soups.

Elvis was a lot of help and now we are both tired...canning is hard work!

Hope you are all having a wonderful weekend! :-)

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Meet my visitor

This is Elvis. He's a traveling critter from one of my mini forum groups. He had a refreshing cup of iced tea and adopted Fifi, the fluffy dog next to him. Can't wait to see what adventures tomorrow brings!