Sunday, October 19, 2014

Not just like the real one...

...but it is made of fabric from my daughter's wedding dress. She's only 5'2" so the seamstress had to cut several inches off the bottom. That left some nice sized scraps for me to work with. Other than being strapless, the bodice of the mini dress is completely different from the real one. (No photos of the real one, though, until after the November 1 wedding.) The real skirt is made of the same fabrics I used - a sheath style underskirt in satin (the real one has two layers) and a layer of plain tulle and a top layer of the dotted tulle. Of course, the dot pattern is more subtle on the real one since I used the same fabric for the mini one. It will be a great way to remember her wedding day each time I look into the mini bridal shop. She is on her way home from her fiance's so I am keeping it out to show her. I will get the shop out and cleaned and then post a photo of the dress in the shop some time this week.

Wow! I made a mini and posted twice this weekend. Maybe there's hope for me, lol.

Have a wonderful and blessed week, wherever you are!

Saturday, October 18, 2014

I'm still here!

We are now in the wedding homestretch - 2 weeks from today. The garden harvest is just about done. I'm hoping for some mini time after the wedding. One mini thing that may happen sooner is making a miniature wedding gown from the alteration scraps of my daughter's wedding dress. I have a mini gown made from bits of my honeymoon negligee set already in the mini bridal salon. I think I want to put some memento from each of my children's weddings in it, too. I don't think it will be all that long until we are planning daughter #1's wedding. My son isn't dating anyone so we have some time there. ;-)

If you are reading this post, thank you so much for hanging in there. I've kept up with all of your news and can't wait to get back to regular posting again.

See you after the wedding!

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Counting down

...the last month and a half until my daughter's wedding. The garden is almost finished, too. Hopefully, before Christmas I can get back to miniatures. My mind is too full of everything else right now to work on the French Country house but once the wedding is over things should calm down here. I will be back! Stay tuned for wedding photos in November, too. :-)

Sunday, September 14, 2014

I'm anxious to get back to the French Country house...

...but Life has other plans at the moment.
 I've been finishing up some of the details for my daughter's wedding. These are the dresses the flowergirls are wearing. K's future step daughters are the flower girls.
 We are getting close to the end of the garden for this year. I had a big weekend of processing - five gallons of green beans for the freezer, 18 pints of beets, 3 half pints of pickled beets, and 20 half pints of sauerkraut.
Once K's wedding is over, I hope to have time to finish the French Country house. I had to put it away last week because we had a large group for dinner and we needed the card table and the space. But the house will be coming out again soon. I promise!

Have a lovely week, wherever you are!

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

I've been busy...and then I got sick

But today, I am feeling much better. I am hoping to be completely back to normal by the weekend but the garden won't wait that long...
Hubby made a quick trip to the garden that didn't turn out to be quite so quick. ;-) Tomorrow after school I will be freezing corn and the next day I will need to can green beans. We are at well over 100 pints now.

I spent some time in the yard while the chickens got some time to roam this evening. The ladies thought I should have come prepared with a treat.
We started getting eggs a couple of weeks ago and we were up to four eggs a day yesterday. Today four more hens joined the Crooked House Layers Club! All three Easter Eggers gifted us with eggs. We now have tan, brown, sky blue, and pale olive eggs. I love the color range. I had no idea how much fun raising chickens could be.
This was part of today's egg collection. We found three more eggs before the day was over. As my daughter says, "it's like Christmas" to check the nesting boxes now. We are very blessed with both garden produce and eggs. :-)

I hope you've had a wonderful day, wherever you are!

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Our chickens are earning their keep!

As of today, we have three layers in the Crooked House Layers' Club. Fred, the rooster, is so proud. ;-) One of our Red Stars started laying 5 days ago and two of her sisters joined the club today. Woo hoo! I can't wait until our three Easter Egger pullets start laying. Then we'll have pretty blue and green eggs along with our brown ones. If you've never had any eggs other than store bought ones, I encourage you to find a local farmer with eggs to sell. The difference in taste is incredible.

I'm working extra hours at school this week so I'm not making any progress on the French country house. I'm leaving it in the living room on a card table, though, so any time I have a free period of time I can do something. Updates will be coming!

Have a wonderful day and/or evening, wherever you are!

Friday, August 8, 2014

I like it!

 The nightstand is across the room rather than by the bed but I am happy with the room. I love the beamed ceiling. I decided to stain the floor to match the beams to tie it all together. The bed canopy hides the fact that the headboard doesn't go all the way to the floor. I guess I could have just put legs on the headboard to make it look finished but the canopy suits the rustic meets romance feel of the room.
Update: I adjusted the pleats and gathers and added a piece of paper doily as the centerpiece on the canopy frame. I like the little added touches. The bedroom is beginning to look like I had hoped it would. It needs accessorizing but it already looks cozy and romantic. :-)