Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Finally something small!

 This isn't a new project but I fixed a couple of things that I didn't like and added a few new details. This is an inexpensive quarter scale Victorian house. I used brick paper for the exterior.
 Inside I used wallpapers I found online - I'm sorry but it's been so long that I don't remember the source. The furniture is a combination of the small plastic pieces, pieces I made, and a few that my friend Brenda made. The hutch in the kitchen and the braided rag rug are her creations. She filled the hutch, too. And did an amazing job, I might add.
 The nursery beds and crib were made with scraps of wood and fabric. The twin beds were way too long originally so today I shortened them. The proportions are much better now. The  quilts at the foot of these beds, hanging over the crib edge, and in the master bedroom are also printies from the web. The rug is a ribbon scrap. The baby in the crib was in a round robin box I used do with friends. She was not dressed. Today I made her a tiny gown from a scrap of vintage handkerchief.
 In the master bedroom I added the mirror over the chest of drawers and the vase of flowers on top of the chest. I didn't make many changes to the plastic furniture in here. I cut down the bases for the lamp and the bowl, gave the bed a new spread, and added a cushion to the chair seat.
 I think I made a couple of minor changes to one or two of the bathroom pieces.The towel and rug are fabric scraps.
 Here's a closer view of Brenda's hutch and rug. I love both pieces. I added paint to some of the plastic pieces when I built the house. Today I made the stockpot simmering away on the stove.

The plastic furniture is mostly as it came from the package in the parlor. I added paper work to the desk.The tablecloth is a small fabric applique. Two tiny stacked beads make the centerpiece vase. The fireplace is a mini Christmas ornament.The artwork is made with a fingernail sticker.The rug is a bit of ribbon.The center table holds a potted plant on a doily made from a lace cutout.

I'm not sure if I'll ever do another quarter scale project. It's certainly not my favorite scale. I much prefer the detail you can get with 1:12 or 1:24. It was a fun experiment, though, and the scale certainly doesn't take up much space. I may not have a choice soon if I want to keep making mini houses, lol.

Recovery from foot surgery is going well.  I have to spend most of the time with my foot elevated and I can't drive yet so it's been lonely. Most of my mini projects require me to sit at a table with my feet on the floor. I haven't got to that point yet.  My best friend has kept me well stocked with library books and my daughter shared her Netflix account so I haven't been too bored. It was very nice to play with minis for a little while today.

Wishing you all a blessing filled day!


4 comments:

kittyandkatminiatures said...

Everything looks beautiful! Your details really pull it together. If you're ever looking for some neat 1/4 scale items check out: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/melissasminiwereld. I've finished a few of her pieces and the kits are great. She's on vacay right now, but it's worth the wait.

Giac said...

Hello Dee,
It is lovely! I think you got a lot of detail in for such a small scale. I don't think I would ever attempt it, but the results were well worth it. I'm happy your foot is healing and hope you can get around soon.
Big hug,
Giac

Drora's minimundo said...

I really love the interior De. I have the plastic furniture which I hesitated
to use in my new 1:48" cottage (Built from scratch). Now that I've seen what
you created with them, especially the bed and the bed spread, I think I'll use, at least some of them. You really are very creative and I always enjoy looking at your work.
Hugs, Drora

De said...

Thank you all!