Friday, July 31, 2015

Head 'em up and move 'em out!

 The boy's room in the Westville is going to be cowboy themed like many young boys enjoyed in the 1950s. Roy Rogers, the Lone Ranger, and cowboy movies made cowboys very popular. I used the above picture for my inspiration for a chenille bedspread.
 This bed was my inspiration for the modifications I made to a traditional spindle headboard.
 The headboard on the mini bed used to look like the back of the toy chest/bench with turned spindles. I cut the spindles out and cut down a wooden wheel I had on hand. The headboard isn't an exact match but I am very pleased. The bedspread was a bit more challenging. I used embroidery floss and cord to do all the curly lines and the horse shoe. I printed out copies of the spread in the correct scale and cut out the more complicated  elements like the cowboy on his horse and the boots. Then I used floss to go around the perimeter of the horse and to add dimension to a few parts of the rest. That was enough to make it look as though the whole thing was chenille. My base fabric is a very fine waffle weave left from a long sleeved T one of my daughters was throwing out several years ago. I don't have much left but it is cotton knit and drapes so nicely. I'm hoarding what I have left for projects like this one. ;-)
I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make my idea become reality. I'm so excited with how it turned out!

6 comments:

kittyandkatminiatures said...

Wow wow wow! What a beautiful piece. It's a mirror image of the real life bed and bedspread. Congrats! It's amazing

Drora's minimundo said...

A beautiful bed and a wonderful likeness to the real life one. I also love the
bedspread! Great work as always.
Hugs, Drora

De said...

Thanks so much for your kind words, ladies!

Giac said...

Hello De,
It looks fantastic. very well done!
Big hug
Giac
N.B. How's your foot? Hope all is well.

De said...

Thank you, Giac. My foot is healing nicely. I'm now out of the boot. My activities are still restricted but I can drive and get out a bit. Thanks for asking!

Giac said...

Hello De,
I'm so glad to hear that. I hope you get back to 100% really fast. In the meantime, take it easy.
Big hug,
Giac