Thursday, July 2, 2009

Here comes the bride!



I messed up my back yesterday and couldn't sleep so I was able to finish my bride sooner than anticipated. I'm very happy with the finished doll. There are many details too small to see in the photos - "diamond" choker, earrings and engagement ring, blue garter, pearl pumps with silver trim, upswept hair with cascading ringlets.
I mixed Sculpey III with Kato polymer clay for this doll. It was easier to sculpt and smooth but I had some problems with cracking after baking and had to do some repair work. I guess I'll have just use straight Kato. It's stronger and has a slight sheen after baking that I really like. I'm just not good at sculpting and smoothing it yet.



7 comments:

DLSarmywife said...

De, sorry to hear you hurt your back, but you sure put your sleeplessness to good use. She is just gorgeous! All the details are just perfect.

Mary said...

When I clicked on the photos I got a bigger picture to view and saw the jewelry you mentioned. She looks fabulous! Lucky groom!

De said...

Thank you both! :0)

Nicky CC said...

De she is lovely! You have added an amazing amount of detail and well worth the time and effort, So hope your back improves for you soon! Maybe it was the clay saying come and play! :)

De said...

Thank you, Nicky!

Anonymous said...

these dolls, what exactly are they made of?

De said...

The heads,hands, feet and torso are sculpted from polymer clay. I use pipe cleaners or wire to attach the limbs to the torso and then wrap the wire with gauze.