Saturday, May 21, 2011

Garage sale finds

I found this Willowcrest dollhouse yesterday for $7. This is before I cleaned the exterior.
This is the interior as it was when I bought it. But I know there's potential.
This is after the first cleaning. I have a lot of scraping to do. And a lot of gluing to do - it was put together with hot glue and there are huge drips and places that are no longer attached. There are also a lot of things missing - 2 pieces of roof, the door. The house is partially sided and shingled. This one is gonna take awhile.
Today I found this little doll and washstand. The washstand is an Avon bottle that held bubble bath. It's perfectly scaled.
On the non-mini front I've been working on this dining set for my daughter. Both girls are moving into unfurnished apartments in the fall. We found the table at a garage sale for $2. I repainted the base and glued some laminate that had come loose. The chairs are vintage ones that were given to us years ago. The one on the floor was my daughter's desk chair. The only thing we had to do was repaint the frame to match the table base. I still had some of the plaid fabric and we took a pillow apart to use the coordinating fabric - volkswagon beetles in the same colors as the smilies on the other chair. It's a fun set and only cost $2 plus two cans of spray paint. :)

15 comments:

dalesdreams said...

Cool beans, De!

That house is gonna be awesome! :)

Caseymini said...

How lucky you are! The willowcrest is a great little house. I was once given a Harrison that had been put together with hot glue. A piece of advice....If you can get it apart, start over with wood glue or Aleene's Fast Grab. Pieces will just keep falling off with the hot glue. It is a job, but it can be done with a hair dryer or heat gun. Good Luck!!! I will be following along to see what you do. Love the house. Love the price!

my mini life said...

what a great little house, and for $7.00 great find. I am sure it will look great once it is all fixed up. i look forward to seeing what becomes of this little house.

A. Wright said...

$7.00? You were one Lucky Lady with that find.

Rosamargarita said...

Oh De! only 7??? A great purchase!!!
A hug

Sandra Tyler said...

What fun! I feel like I can relive my childhood here. I LOVED my dollhouse...

Fabiola said...

The Willowcrest is fantastic and also the price.
Bye Faby

Kathi said...

A $7 dollhouse!!! What a great find! I dream of finding another house at a garage sale! This one is beautiful!

Katie said...

What an awesome find for $7.00! lol...hot glue? What were they thinking? lol
...Can't wait to see what you do with it:)

marlies said...

What a great house you find, and that for only 7 dollars? Love what you did with the chairs, they now match with the table, your doughter will love it!
* marlies

Heather said...

Great find. It is a wonderful house!

De said...

Thanks everyone! I'm still in the "what in the world am I going to do with it?!" stage. Hubby wants me to make it an abandoned house. I've considered turning it into a home furnishings and decor shop - I know a real one in a restored Victorian house.

Casey, thank you for the tip. I do have a heat gun. My only concern is getting it all reassembled correctly but taking it apart would solve the problem of decorating the front entrance.

Karin F. said...

Wow! I've never found a dh or any other mini for that matter at any garage sales I've been to. Congrats

Brandy Wilcoxen said...

Oh Wow! $7 is amazing!

Kim said...

wow- what a great find- and the table is a perfect size for an apartment too! I can't wait to see what you do with it- I think it would look great as a home furnishings and decor shop- but an abandoned house might be really fun too!