Thursday, December 10, 2009

An aluminum Christmas tree

This turned out so well that I'm gonna have to make one to keep, too. :0) This one will be listed tomorrow in my etsy shop. The ornaments and tree skirt go with it.

This is even easier to make than the green one because there are no cross branches. You have to use a skinny dowel to look authentic. Otherwise, it goes together just like the other tree.
The tree skirt is based on one from the 50s that I saw in a photo. I made all of the ornaments and the tree topper is a shank button so all I had to do was slip the shank loop over the top of the tree. Cool!

7 comments:

Kathi said...

This is wonderful! Love it!!!

De said...

Thank you!

Kim said...

This is the greatest- I'm going to try this one out- probably on christmas day when I get to lay around and relax finally! Great job De!

De said...

Thanks, Kim. One tip: Since there are no cross branches you can make each branch twice as long and wrap it around the trunk to form two branches. It goes more quickly with less bulk which is important for the aluminum tree. Good luck and have fun.

~MiniMaker said...

You did an amazing job on this tree! It's perfect!

De said...

Thanks, Gaye!

JDayMinis said...

Just saw Kim's with your links, love your tree too. So nice of you to share you tutorial, thank you!