Sunday, December 6, 2009

Pipe Cleaner Tree Tutorial Part 1

Supplies needed: length of dowel (diameter isn't really important as it will be covered anyway); small container to "plant" the tree in; pipe cleaners/chenille stems in green - both regular and bumpy; scissors, tacky glue (I used Fast Grab); stain pen or paint in brown for the trunk
Paint the dowel. It doesn't have to be perfect as most of it will be covered.
Glue the dowel into the planter.
Trim a section of the bumpy chenille for the tree top and glue into place. Cut 5 bumps and cross branches of straight chenille in 3 lengths for each of the branches.
Twist the cross branches on to the main branches.

5 comments:

Kathi said...

Yippeeeee! You did it! You made a tutorial with photos! Thank you so much! I love this tree and I AM going to try to make one! :)

De said...

You are welcome, Kathi. :-)

Kathi said...

Hi De,
I'm stuck at part one! :( I couldn't find any bumpy chenille so I'm just using straight one. I think I'm trying to put too many pieces on my branches? I want my tree to be about 3 1/2 inches across the bottom. Three pieces looks too skimpy. I used 7 and I've got what looks more like a bush then a tree!
LOL. I'll keep trying!

De said...

The very first one I made years ago doesn't have any of the bumpy either, Kathi. Just experiment with the size of your branches. I will say that it looks more full once the whole tree is put together so you may not need more than 5 cross branches and maybe 4 will be enough.

Kathi said...

Thanks De. I'm going to try using less cross branches and see it that looks better.